Monday, November 5, 2012

Javelina Jundred 2012 (Short Version)


Jenny usually does the blogging around here as I am not one to put my personal life out in the e-world. But so many people have asked me about my experience on running 100 miles I decided to break down and post for all my cyber buddies to peer into my thoughts. One of the things that helped me the most when training for the run was to read other people's experiences about this run. I so appreciated the blogs others wrote of running the Javelina Jundred, so in writing this blog I also hope that someone might read this blog and it might help them prepare for the race.

I have 2 versions of the race, a short version (this post), and a really really long version with every detail I could remember. For most people the short version will suffice to get a feel for my 100 mile run. For others that want the good, the bad, and the not so pretty details read the long version.

Short Version:
Here's a short youtube video of the Javelina Jundred 2012 race:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sClKFoGDOM
5 Months of Training 50-70 miles a week: Usually 1 long run (20-30 miles), followed by another long run the next day (15-25 miles), rest day, then 3 more days of short runs.

We camped at the starting line area which was nice to be so close as it was easier for my family to be there to offer support for each lap. I had Chipotle for lunch and Dutch Oven Chicken for dinner. I had a bowl of oatmeal with honey for breakfast.

I taped the back of my heel to prevent my shoe from rubbing a blister. The gun went off at 6:00 AM and I was at the back of the pack. I walked for probably the first 3 minutes then took another 3 minutes or so to run my way past the walkers before I got in my groove.

My first lap I spent talking with runners which made the time go by quicker. I finished the first lap in 2 hours and 45 minutes which was right on my stretch goal. I used the restroom and my parents helped get some food in my stomach. Jenny and the kids went back for their play practice and returned by the third lap. My brother Jedd and his wife Casi and daughter Amelia came and it was good to have their support. I wasted about 10 minutes eating and using the restroom and started lap 2.

Lap 2 ended a little slow at 3 hours and 20 minutes (35 minutes off my overly optimistic goal time). Once again on this lap I also spent some time Jeadquarters (probably 15-20 minutes). It was nice having family there to cheer me on.

Lap 3 & 4 started around noon and it was getting hot. I cramped up during this and the next lap but was able to walk through them to start running again. I finished my book on tape. I ran these laps in 3 hours and 50 minutes each.

Lap 5 I ran with my cousin Jenny and was really starting to slow down. I was able to keep a decent pace on the last ½ where it was mostly downhill, but still a decent pace was still slower than I had anticipated. We ran this lap in about 4 ½ hours. It was midnight when I finished and I was feeling very tired.

Lap 6 Glade and his son Rhett ran with me. They were very good at encouraging me to continue, but I was tired and didn’t have much to give. It took me about 5 hours to finish this lap (a 3 mile an hour pace or 20 minutes per mile).

Lap 7 Kirk ran with me the last 9 miles and encouraged me to the end. We crossed the finish line in 25:32:20. Wow what an accomplishment. It felt so good to be done.

Everyone was so supportive and the race coordinators and volunteers were all so organized and kind. It was a well put on event and well worth the experience. Thanks everyone for all your hard work to help make this experience possible!!

Here are my 15.4 mile lap splits:
            Lap 1: 2:44:46
            Lap 2: 6:05:51
Lap 3: 9:47:25
Lap 4: 13:37:44
Lap 5: 18:01:40
Lap 6: 22:58:36
Lap 7 (9 miles): 25:32:20

1 comment:

Dacia said...

Jake - you are awesome! What an inspiration you are. I bet Jenny, and the rest of your family, are so proud they could pop. Way to go! And, I did read the long version, too. Maybe Glade and Rhett will run with you next time?